You will need:
- 2 bottles fruity red wine
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 8 cloves
- 8 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 stick cinnamon
- peel of 1 orange (cut away the white pith)
- 250ml (9fl oz) aquavit
- 75g (3oz) raisins
- 20g (¾oz) nibbed or flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp Angostura bitters
- 250ml (9fl oz) Madeira or Marsala
- really generous slosh Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- Put the wine into a large saucepan with the sugar. Gently heat, stirring to help the sugar dissolve.
- Put the spices and the orange peel in a little muslin bag and add this to the wine. Add all the other ingredients and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or so, but don’t let the mixture boil.
- Serve in glasses with small spoons so that people can scoop out and eat the almonds and the boozy raisins.