Ruby grapefruit and campari granitaServes 4-6
This is a very grown-up, cleansing end to a meal and an easy one. With granitas there’s no mucking about with custards or ice-cream machines – just sweet liquid, a freezer and a fork. Pile the bittersweet crystals into chilled glasses and leave it at that. If you’re feeling particularly lazy, use a bottle of freshly squeezed juice.
- 500ml (18fl oz) freshly squeezed ruby grapefruit juice
- 150g (5 ½oz) caster sugar
- 75ml (5 tbsp) Campari
- Gently heat the juice with the caster sugar until the sugar has melted. Leave to cool. Add the Campari and then pour the liquid into a wide shallow container and put it into the freezer.
- After about an hour, fork the crystals forming round the edges into the rest of the juice. Keep doing this at intervals, forking the slush to break it up as it freezes. You want to end up with fine, glassy shards of ice.
- If the mixture sets hard, just leave it out for 5 minutes and fork it again before serving.