Cherry and goat’s cheese-stuffed chickenServes 6
In the summer you can use fresh cherries, pitted, instead of dried ones.
- 1.8kg (4lb) chicken salt and pepper
- 15g (½oz) butter, softened
For the stuffing
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g (3 ½oz) white breadcrumbs
- 150g (5 ½oz) creamy goat’s cheese, in chunks
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 75g (2 ½oz) dried sour cherries, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes then drained
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Wash the chicken inside and out and pat dry with kitchen paper. Season inside and out.
- Melt the butter for the stuffing in a frying pan and cook the onion until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Tip into a bowl and add the other stuffing ingredients. Gently mix (don’t squash the cheese) and season well. Stuff the bird, place in a roasting tin and smear the butter on the outside. Roast for 1 ½ hours or until cooked through.
- Spoon the stuffing into a serving bowl. Serve the chicken with the stuffing, lemon wedges, a cucumber salad and a big bowl of bulgur wheat.